Re: Debian or Embedbian on a powerful 64-bit system

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 22:53:42 +0000 (UTC)
Uttam <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to get a chroot going with grip-wheezy.conf along with a
> debian source with some extra packages.

Having a Debian source in there is a bad idea because wheezy-grip does
not get updates regularly. Therefore, you will actually be getting
mostly Debian. That's not a problem (your system can easily cope with
not using the Emdebian source and just using the Emdebian tools like
multistrap) but combining two suites which are not synchronised will
cause problems. If you want to mix, use stable.

Either use stable or use wheezy from Debian. (wheezy.conf
in /usr/share/multistrap)

> So now I have the following questions:
>
>  1. When providing the list of packages in the configuration, multistrap
>     just downloads and unpacks the packages, there is no configuration
>     done correct? Also, it seems there is no dependency resolution done.

Configuration is done for native architectures and you should be
testing with the native architecture. Dependencies are always fully
resolved, that's the whole point of using apt.

Check the output of the --simulate option to multistrap, as advised in
the documentation.

>  2. Now, how this chroot deployed into the root drive? Is there a way,
>     like I mentioned before, to create a compressed filesystem out of
> 	this?

cd ../ ; fakeroot tar -czf rootfs.tgz dirname/

Copy the tarball, create a filesystem on device with the usual mkfs
tools and unpack the tarball.

> Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Please read the documentation, this has all been covered many, many
times before.

There's no point pushing this endlessly through the list again, ask on
IRC and read the documentation.