Re: Emdebian iso problem

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 15:53:38 -0700
shawn <shawnlandden@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Using exclusions on a kernel package just means that a 30Mb package
> > unpacks to 100Mb of which you want 10Mb, so you waste time downloading
> > and processing 120Mb.
> >
> Yes yes I agree, this is only half-ass. I largely meant it so someone
> that is having trouble with emdebian as was alluded to in earlier
> emails.

Except it won't have sorted anything about the problem with ISO images.

> excludes can be good for, (e.g.) virtual machines. , or for packages
> which are not gripped and you are too lazy to grip yourself. (I've had
> very bad luck with the apt-grip, and have only succeeded with emgrip,
> which can be tedious)

apt-grip can only improve if people using it who experience problems
tell people who could fix the problems or ask for advice on what is
going on.

The critical thing with apt-grip is to NOT run it on-device - run it on
the desktop because it is entirely architecture-neutral.

Equally, if people don't mention which packages they need to use with
apt-grip, there is no chance of those getting into updates of Emdebian
Grip itself. There was a long delay when new packages were not being
added but if I don't know which new packages people want there is no
chance of me adding them.

Don't blame luck, file bugs, ask on the list and explain what problems
you have had. Be prepared to describe exactly what is going on. "It
doesn't work" is completely useless to anyone. Anything related to
apt-grip MUST include the full apt sources on the machine concerned
(and I do mean everything, if there are sources which are not public,
comment them out, run apt-get update and re-test apt-grip).

If you do get problems with apt-grip, then the routine should be:

0: Read the apt errors - 99% of errors with apt-grip are that apt
simply cannot do what you are asking - apt, not apt-grip. The same
methods apply as with Multistrap debugging (because apt-grip and
multistrap share a LOT of code).
http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap#Debugging_package_selection_failures

apt-grip has to rely on apt being able to do the entire operation in
one call which is completely different to when apt is used
interactively with tweak after tweak and in multiple stages. That isn't
available to apt-grip - it's all or nothing. Use the -k option if you
really do need to download stuff in stages.

1: Temporarily disable third-party repositories - especially
debian-multimedia or repositories like eclipse or oracle etc.

2: Run apt-grip inside a chroot like pbuilder. Add exactly the apt
sources you need and only those sources.

3: When there are a lot of other dependencies required, consider
putting /var/lib/apt-grip/output into a repository using reprepro.

It's not bad luck, it is problematic configuration and if apt cannot
install a package, apt-grip will be completely unable to process it.