Re: Long term availability of xapt package

+++ Neil Williams [2011-03-11 09:45 +0000]:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 01:24:52 +0000

> Of these, Emdebian unstable is the oldest - you should use the more
> recent versions in Debian sid (testing) or Debian wheezy (testing).
>
> xapt was only put into the Emdebian unstable repository to make it
> available on Squeeze. If you are running anything newer than Squeeze
> you should use xapt from Debian.

Shouldn't things intended to be used in Debian stable be in the
emdebian stable repo? That's how I'd expect the correspondence to
work, so maybe others will too? Obviously backports is a more reliable
mechanism than this.

> > There will probably still be a need for a convenient 'satisfy
> > cross-deps' command, but that will just call apt to do the work.
>
> embuilddeps can take that role - it is proving more convenient than
> dpgk-checkbuildeps and other dependency calculations and it can be
> easily modified to call apt with the appropriate Multi-Arch settings
> instead of calling xapt/dpkg-cross.

OK. I have to say I don't like using the 'em' prefix on generic
comands. I have this idea that em-foo commands do emdebian-specific
tasks (like emgrip). satisfying cross-build deps is not at all
emdebian specific - it's the same in all of Debian and Ubuntu.

xdeb has gained a lot of traction in linaro-world, and it includes
this functionality too. I am planning to split it up so that
sub-components can be used. So xdeb-satisfydepends would also provide
this functionality. Or maybe xdeb can be made to simply call
embuilddeps - I'll look into that.

> There will be no need for xapt or dpkg-cross once Multi-Arch is properly
> implemented. xapt would just be a one-line alias for apt-get anyway.

To clarify here. The current multiarch spec is only about libs. We
need multiarch-cross (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross)
implemented to get cross-building to work. That is specified but the
work is not yet done. And it requires a policy change for an FHS
exception to allow us to put includes in subdirs of /usr/include. I
need to write mail to debian policy about that, and plan to do so
imminently.

> I think we'll have sufficient support in Wheezy that *some* or even
> 'many' cross-building projects will no longer need xapt but there will
> likely be packages which have not been converted to Multi-Arch and
> which therefore still need dpkg-cross.

Has anyone done anything about multiarch (and multiarch-cross) a
Wheezy Goal? I think we should try and make that official to help
smooth the way.

http://wookware.org/