Re: Emdebian sprint - flash-kernel discussion

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 15:57:31 +0100, Loïc Minier <loic.minier@linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011, James Westby wrote:
> > How would this interact with the proposal for storing some of this
> > information in hwpacks?
>
>  This came up; basically linaro-image-tools + hwpacks are one of the
>  many copies of this information which we have around.  It will take
>  some time to share this stuff across debian-cd, debian-installer,
>  flash-kernel, linaro-image-tools + hwpacks etc.
>
>  Basically, we want all these tools to separate code and data, and we'd
>  like data to be shared.  Right now, linaro-image-tools has both code
>  and data, and moving the board-specific data to hwpacks would be a win.
>  Eventually we could generate the hardware pack from this common data,
>  or we might change linaro-image-tools to read the common data from
>  where it lives, but it seems further away.

One of the issues here I guess is: do we know what all the data required
is?  My impression (from a step removed, admittedly) is that adding
support for new boards to l-m-c still tends to require code changes and
not just data changes.  Hopefully this will stabilize over time though.

Cheers,
mwh