Re: Adding "mdadm" package to Grip

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 14:24:55 +0100
Damiano ALBANI <damiano.albani@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 09:42, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > Or, you can gain a little bit of space and convert any package from
> > Debian into an Emdebian Grip package using 'apt-grip' which is in the
> > emdebian-grip package. Install that on a desktop system, specify the
> > architecture to download and convert, then put the converted package
> > into a local repository and add that to your multistrap config.
> >

> Indeed, I can use the Debian package, which can also be run through
> apt-grip.
> But what about updates of the package that may be released in the future?
> Does that mean that I have to set up my own local repository if I want to
> "do things right"?

It just means that now is not the right time to add the package because
it's going to be hard enough to get Emdebian Grip released alongside
Squeeze as it is. Once all that work is done, then I can look at adding
more packages to unstable and thence to Wheezy. That should be possible
towards the end of next week.

It is *always* a good idea to create your own local repository. That's
why emdebian-grip-server is a package in Debian. The package is mostly
automated, once actually set up and it can try and do some of the setup
for you but you do need some knowledge of reprepro and normal admin
type tasks. Also, although that package contains a lot of helper
scripts to try and sort out problems, there are plenty of times when
some manual adjustments are needed and the helper scripts do need to be
run manually. Most (if not all) have --dry-run modes which should
always be used before committing to the change.

Having your own repository means you don't need to worry about packages
you don't need, e.g. if you don't need a graphical environment, and you
can choose to only support the architecture that you need instead of
the six used by Emdebian Grip. This makes the whole thing a lot smaller
and a lot faster.

Any kind of commercial usage of Emdebian really, really should setup
their own repository - even if that is just a mirror /snapshot of
Emdebian Grip.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/