Re: device-table.pl: devices nodes are simple files

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 04:34:06PM -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> So I decided to take a look to the script. I found that running a line
> like device-table.pl::120 with fakeroot will create simple files,
> while running them as root they were proper device nodes.

man fakeroot

when you do something like mknod(1) which usually requires superuser
permissions, what fakeroot does, is to actually create a normal file (it
doesnt have the priviliges to create a real device node) and keep track
of this file as a fake device node.

so as long as you are within the fakeroot call every application will
see as a device node whatever you created with mknod. While outside of
it, it is just a normal file.

as said, above, for more information read the manpage.

cheers, josch