Re: foreign bootstrap

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 04:14:14PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 16:52:00 +0200
> Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl> wrote:
>
> > > foreign bootstrap finisher
> >
> > On second thought:
> >
> > Polystrap is a foreign bootstrap builder and finisher, fbbf
>
> I've no idea where the 'poly' comes from and the "strap" is done by
> another tool, then there's no mention of emulation (without which this
> tool wouldn't exist).

Yes, this quest is about another name for polystrap.

I mean there is no need to spent time on the previous name.

> qemu-config is available as a package name in Debian.
>
> TBH the configuration of a set of packages using emulation is the real
> task done by this tool. It's not necessarily anything to do with a
> rootfs, it can be any similar operation using a foreign architecture.
>
> If the qemu people aren't happy with this tool pinching the namespace
> (maybe it would be easier to include this script into qemu itself?)
> then maybe just "emulation-config".

Yes, that is how program_that_is_being_renamed currently works.

My point is that people will be looking for a program that builds
a complete foreign bootstrap, they wouldn't be looking for emulation
configuration. At least, I would skip qemu-config and emulation-config
when in search for a foreign bootstrap builder and finisher.

Wishing wisdom to the actual writer of the program we are talking about.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.