Re: Installing pppd on an emdebian machine

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
> Basically I would try to find ppp kernel module source and cross
> compile as if it was an external kernel module. Then you might want to
> put ppp on hold, so you don't upgrade kernel module on any update.

Duh!
Light dawns on marble head...

It just occurred to me yesterday that the ppp_generic module was part
of the kernel modules, not something that was shipped with the ppp
package.

Then I noticed that my kernel wasn't loading _any_ modules.

Then I noticed that the kernel version didn't match the modules versions.

Once I downloaded and installed a compatible set of kernel & modules,
everything started making more sense.  (I still need to take the rest
of the steps of setting up ppp, but that I can handle... I think.)

Thanks for the gentle push.

FWIW, I had a vision of that the ppp module shipped with a kernel
module that got compiled and installed as part of the post
installation script.  I started wondering how such things were
accomplished in an Emdebian cross compiled world, and forgot to check
my basic assumptions.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling noise :-)

--wpd