Re: Installing pppd on an emdebian machine

Hi Patrick,

2011/6/3 Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com>:

> I can try doing what you suggest, but won't that build the package for
> my (x86) host Debian machine, rather than for my (ARM, Balloonboard)
> target machine?

It depends on where you issue the commands. On target might built
natively, on your host, you might need extra hackery to be able to
cross compile.
Basically you seem to be right, there is a kernel module for ppp, that
needs to be rebuild against Balloon kernel with same toolchain if
possible.

> Would I use something like apt-get-cross (if such a thing even
> exists)?  How would I configure apt-get-cross to know about my target
> and where my kernel sources are?

At lenny time there was apt-cross, but got deprecated and now there is
xapt in wheezy/sid, which can help to find out cross dependencies (but
for kernel modules you do not need it). There is also dpkg-cross,
which takes a Debian package built for target architecture and mangles
paths to it places libraries and headers in a known address
(/usr/arm-linux-gnueabi/...), but that ought to change in the future
in favour of multiarch (a way to fit headers and libraries from
several architectures in one system), but it might take a while.

Basically I would try to find ppp kernel module source and cross
compile as if it was an external kernel module. Then you might want to
put ppp on hold, so you don't upgrade kernel module on any update.

You could try to cross compile ppp package, which I am not sure if it
has support for it, but it should be as easy as:
  dpkg-buildpackage -aarmel [other options]
note you might want to install cross and native dependencies with xapt.

There are also other tools that can help you out as pdebuild-cross or
xdeb, it might be worth to try them to, at least to get familiar with
them if you got interest.

All the info (old mixed with new) can be found at wiki.debian.org
(CategoryEmdebian).

Best regards,