Re: Embedian repository

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:35:41 +0100
Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE <jmpoure@gooze.eu> wrote:

> I am trying the netinstall using Grub and a Flash disk. Everything is
> fine if I connect to a normal Debian mirror.

Then change the mirror after installation and upgrade to Emdebian to
see all your space being freed.

> On the converse, if I try an embedian mirror, I have the following
> message:

The Emdebian mirror cannot be signed using the normal Debian archive
keys because no-one in Emdebian is an ftp-master for Debian. The
installer doesn't understand the Emdebian Archive signing key which is
in the emdebian-archive-keyring package. There is also an
emdebian-archive-keyring-udeb which could be used but I'm not aware of
a way to include that udeb into the netinst process.

AFAICT netinst does not work with Emdebian (or with any mirror not
signed by the key in the main debian-archive-keyring udeb). This is
probably a security measure and is unlikely to be preventable.

Other methods work fine, the netinst has never worked and the security
hole of the Emdebian key is the likely reason. If the netinst could
trust any old archive, there'd be no point in using signatures on the
repository in the first place. Emdebian isn't "official" Debian, it is
an official sub-project but that's not *quite* the same.