Re: cross pkgconfig

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:25:58 +0000
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> What did you conclude about cross-pkgconfig
> Should we be using --host <triplet> or <triplet>-pkg-config to call it
> in 'cross-mode'?

(Was this meant to go to the bug report or to me direct rather than the
list?)

--host allows just a single package to be modified (pkg-config) and then
all packages will gain cross support just using autoreconf. i.e. we can
do an autoreconf ourselves but once this version of pkg-config is in
widespread usage in upstream teams, every package gains cross support
from pkg-config at each new upstream release. Much higher level, much
higher impact, many more people doing the work - 99% of them completely
unaware that the work is being done at all. Zero changes required by
any upstream team - it JustWorks.tm

autotools doesn't need to support <triplet>-pkg-config - pkg-config
with the --host change provides an updated m4 macro which works for all
architectures which can be passed to ./configure.

<triplet>-pkg-config needs to be created for every new arch.

> I read your contributions to the bugreport
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=217902#28
> but I'm afraid I wasn't really able to grok what's going on.

The patch modifies the pkg-config m4 macro which, if accepted, would
become embedded into every new upstream autotools package at the first
upstream release to use this version.

Then, when cross-compiling, pkg-config is called using the --host
argument to look in the relevant location.

The only problem comes when upstreams call pkg-config directly instead
of using the PKG_CHECK_MODULES macro. These upstreams would need
modifications to either use the macro or use --host.

http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/wiki/CrossCompileProposal