Re: ARM GPU non-free drivers

David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> writes:

>>  i know that samsung's S3C6410 GPU engine is being reverse-engineered
>> from two different angles, the linux angle _and_ the wince angle, but
>> i'm seriously seriously trying to find a decent Cortex A8 CPU with a
>> _remote_ chance of a free software 3D stack.
>
> I read that the Efika-MX people are working to get 3D support for their
> hardware into Ubuntu.  They're using an iMX 51 Cortex A8 core, AFAIK:

and the gpu is the amd z430 (I think that qualcomm owns it nowadays)

> http://blog.efikamx.info/2010/10/maverick-status-launchpad-project.html
>
> Whether they do everything open-source, I don't know, though.

iirc, the kernel part is GPL [1] but the userspace is closed.

Arnaud

[1] http://opensource.freescale.com/git?p=imx/linux-2.6-imx.git;a=tree;f=drivers/mxc/amd-gpu;h=54034f4eed9eaee2e51cbd23e4dee3744ea6604f;hb=refs/heads/imx_2.6.35_10.10.01