Re: ARM GPU non-free drivers

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> Luke - you are quite right that free GPU drivers is important, in the
> same way that free software in general is important, and that
> currently the whole ARM embedded graphics area is a disaster area with
> 5 competing implementations _all_ of which are non-free.
>
> However posting your rant as the first mail after the announcement of
> this kind sponsorship in the embedded/ARM Sprint therad was just rude.
> One should at the very least pause to say 'thank you', before
> launching into a diatribe otherwise one tends not to get invited
> again.

 apologies - subtly and tact have never really been my strong points.
i _think_ people are kinda getting used to me now as "definitely being
a bit over-the-top, but otherwise harmless".  that's my hope, anyway
:)

 but i actually much much prefer what you've written here, to what i
have: it's definitely clarifying matters and puts things into
perspective in a much better way than i ever could!

> I see strong hints that at least one GPU vendor will provide design
> info soon so that 3rd party drivers can be written.

 realllyyy? veery goood.

> They are too
> scared to hand over their own code, but seem OK with 3rd-party free
> drivers being written.

 could you, privately, let me know which one it is?

 i know that samsung's S3C6410 GPU engine is being reverse-engineered
from two different angles, the linux angle _and_ the wince angle, but
i'm seriously seriously trying to find a decent Cortex A8 CPU with a
_remote_ chance of a free software 3D stack.

 l.