Re: Where is an Emdebian compatible installer with matching ISO?

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:20:17 +0800
Jason Heeris <jason.heeris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry Neil, I think we crossed streams. Thanks for the advice, I'll
> take some time to digest it.
>
> But it occurs to me that maybe Emdebian isn't the right idea here. I
> should clarify what kind of system this is: it's a single board
> computer with a x86 compatible processor and flash storage (512MB).
> Now, it has a BIOS, can boot from USB or the flash, you can attach
> input peripherals, etc. So I'm wondering whether the advice on the
> front page under "What about low resource machines?" is pertinent here
> instead, since in some ways it can be pretty much treated as a
> mid-90's desktop PC in terms of resources.

In which case, Emdebian Grip is probably suitable - your main
limitation is storage space, as long as you don't try to install crazy
stuff like OOo.

> I might give it a shot as a normal Debian install (it'll be
> interesting to see how we go with 512MB...) for the sake of
> development, and if I have problems come back to Emdebian.

Grip is binary compatible with Debian and can save you 30% over a
standard Debian install.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/