Re: How to install EmDebian on a Seagate FreeAgent DockStar?

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:17:28 +0200
Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> Hello Neil and *,
>
> does someone has installed EmDebian  on  a  "Seagate FreeAgent
> DockStar" which has a Marvel 88F6281 with 256 MByte NAND and 128
> MByte SDRAM.

It depends really on how you are able to boot the device - if it will
boot from USB, then you can do a normal installation using Debian and
convert to Emdebian. If it can be booted into a rescue-type shell
(where the NAND is not mounted) then you can simply untar a multistrap
system directly onto the NAND.

Those decisions are not specific to this device, they hold for any
device upon which Emdebian or Debian is to be installed. It's all about
how much control you have over the boot process. If this device doesn't
give the control you need, find another one - there are plenty
available.

> Unfortunately no SATA connectors.

But it has USB, so it may either boot from USB with some form of runes
or it may be possible to get it into a shell from which you can access
USB.

> Note:   I was warned that if I connect the DockStar to the Internet,

USB installation doesn't need internet access until after the
Debian/Emdebian system is created on device. i.e. after the current
software has been deleted.

> so, what I need is a posibility to erase the original  installation
> and install EmDebian on it, because I think, pure ARMEL would be
> numbers  to big for the 256 MByte NAND.

You probably need to work out how to access the device without having
either an external hard drive or ethernet plugged in - but then some
devices of this kind rely on having both USB (to laptop) and power
plugged in before the device even powers up. It may require opening up
the device and reconfiguring it somehow.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/