Re: My work on cross compiler packages

Hello Simon,

2010/7/27 Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org>:
> I'm currently re-bootstrapping an older system here using gcc 4.5, and I
> find the bootstrap code to be significantly less broken than the one in 4.4
> (specifically, the "all-host" target doesn't fail anymore), so I suggest you
> start with 4.5 and backport from there.

Is that GNU libc the one you are using? or Debian's EGNU libc?
GNU libc has been doing some improvements lately, but right now, it is
not in Debian world.

>> To make it possible I also have to alter contents of *-source binary
>> packages
>> from binutils/eglibc/gcc/linux to have a possibility to reuse their
>> packaging
>> rules in new $ARCH-cross-compiler package on which I will work in next
>> weeks.
>
> I think we should have a "policy" document there, to allow uClibc to provide
> a drop-in replacement for eglibc.

Simon, I belive, right now, we should focus on Squeeze release and
just provide a binutils/eglibc/gcc/linux cross tool. Repackaging work
is to be done.
Allowing uClibc or other libc's on the build we can discuss later, but
it is good point to have it in mind since the beginning of the new
$ARCH-cross-compiler packaging.

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón