Re: Another problem building gcc-4.4_4.4.4-6 related to the recent binutils 2.20.51.20100710-1 patch to set sysroot for cross builds

On 7/21/2010 6:15 PM, Hector Oron wrote:
Hi Jim,

This bug is introduced by latest changes done by Linaro folks.

Previously, you were able to build regular tools, only by setting
WITH_SYSROOT=$some_path enviroment variable before the build, you
could build a sysroot binutils.

Yes, as I just responded to Loïc's post, I had found the bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/binutils-linaro/+bug/598389 filed by the Linaro folks. So can you explain the intended difference between "regular" tools and "sysroot" binutils? I don't quite understand how that option is supposed to be used. Is there a difference between their use and "normal" use? I don't understand how it helps them, but causes me the error I'm seeing. I can certainly continue to set the WITH_SYSROOT=/ environment variable to regain the previous behavior, but I'd like to know that the change that Linaro made was proper for general use.

Thanks,

-Jim