Re: Policy changes which completely break apt-cross

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 17:34:35 +0100
Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> Can people stop calling each other 'wrong' in such a confrontational
> manner please. I'm not convinced that the world is falling in here,
> and having a big argument isn't very likely to help.

OK - all I want is a replacement for apt-cross to be investigated, not
the composition of yet another hack around existing hacks by using
Contents files.

> So the change is that not all the development files need to be in the
> -dev package, but could be in packages depended on by -dev.
>
> This does break the convenient dependency-resolution shortcut that
> apt-cross uses to work out what needs to be downloaded.

True.

> However if there is a good reason for this change then this just
> highlights what we already know - which is that we need a smarter
> cross-dependency resolution tool.

Yes - not a hack that complicates our existing cross-dependency
resolution tool. After all, we know that apt-cross isn't up to that
job, it is OK at a limited role currently - unless a package using this
Policy change breaks things.

> If there isn't a good reason then
> asking to have this changed or improved would make sense. But I don't
> think that this justiofies talk of "The only result of filing a bug
> against apt-cross for this issue will be a bump to Severity:grave (not
> compliant with Policy)" and the removal of apt-cross from Sid and
> Squeeze.
>
> apt-cross will remain useful until it is replaced by something bewtter
> even if it doesn;t always work. (it already doesn't always work - the
> sky has not fallen in yet)

True. This is a heads-up that the Policy change could lead to breakage
which would not be obvious initially. We don't need to hack together a
new workaround because this isn't breaking things yet - we need to
concentrate on devising a replacement for apt-cross.

> It has been suggested to me that the reason for the change is to allow
> _runtime_ arch-indep files to go in a -common package.
> Development-time files should remain in -dev.

Is this for things like the orbit and GObject marshallers?

> That would be OK, I think (can anyone think of a reason why it would
> break things?)

Depends if the split-out packages are Architecture:any (everything
works) or Architecture:all (apt-cross will likely fail).

>, but policy doesn't say that so packagers may not do
> the right thing. It would need clarifying if that is indeed the idea.
>
> I have not yet found the original discussion leading to the change,
> but presumably there is some. Reading that might help us work out
> whether this change is sensible or not, and if it is we probably need
> to work out how to deal with it.
>
> I haven't quite got my head round what everyone is saying in this
> thread yet. I'll read it again and try to make sense of things.
>
> But please, a little more calm all round would be good.

Sorry. There is no reason to rush around thinking up crazy fixes for
apt-cross due to this change, I posted because I wanted people to take
time to think about a replacement.

Please stop talking about fixing apt-cross - that isn't the point. We
need a replacement and this Policy change is far enough away from
really breaking stuff that we have time to look into a replacement - it
just gives us a good reason to get that replacement working before
Squeeze rather than after.

I would really like to not have to put apt-cross into Squeeze if I can
avoid it.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/