Re: pdebuild-cross fixes in wook-shed branch

+++ Neil Williams [2010-10-01 16:47 +0100]:
> On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 15:51:08 +0100
> Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:

> > Neil - can you do an upload of this to experimental so we can try it
> > out? Needs a corresponding multistrap too, changes for which are
> > already in trunk.
>
> I'm waiting for a final l10n fix for multistrap which will then go for
> a freeze exception, then an upload to experimental. I'm hoping that
> will all get done this weekend. Multistrap for Squeeze needs the
> keyring changes anyway, I'm hoping those can be made non-intrusive.

The existing fix is not at all intrusive.

What's I'm not sure is whether we can still operate with
unauthenticated repos.

Currently we can download packages from an unath repo and install
them, but nothing in the created repo says 'don't use authentication
here'. I think we need to add a config file to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d to
set APT::Get:Allowunauthenticated, such that tools within that chroot
will operate correctly.

Currently xapt has no way of knowing whether it should use
authentication or not. Now that it default to authentication, it will
simply fail if it tries to install any packages from unauth repos.

Unless I am missing something? (how does this work for TCL chroots for
example - do we have a conf-script to add an
APT::Get:Allowunauthenticated=true file?)

We have the problem that we might conceivably want to have thius
setting different for the initial package downloads to create the
chroot, and for operation inside the created chroot (debootstrap vs
aptsources). We can;t express that currently, but then I can't
actually think of a sensible use-case.

One way would be to move the 'unauth' setting to be a per-repo section
thing, then if any used repo was unauth we'd operate that way. This
way it can automatically DTRT both for downloads and inside the
chroot. And it makes sense because auth-or-not is a feature of each
repo, not the situation as a whole.

I hope that makes sense.

http://wookware.org/