Emdebian native build on PPC?

Hello all,

I have a question regarding the use of the emdebian-tools in the native
build environment.

I'm a novice to the Debian world (always used the RPM-based distros),
so please excuse my ignorance of the Debian package and tools
fundamentals.

We are going to build our own PowerPC distribution (targeting a
embedded system) based on the Emdebian package customization
(DEB_VENDOR, etc). However, as fas I understood the Emdebian concept,
it is a cross-build system, running on top of the standard Debian
distribution, installed on a host.

From my past experience with the cross-toolchains and cross-builds, I
remember how painful could be a build process (used Den Kegel
crosstool scripts to build a toolchain; libtool-based packages was the
real problem to build in cross).

Can I use the benefits of the native PowerPC build system
(emdebian-tools, right?) to rebuild the Emdebian distribution (the
target part of it) with my changes in package list, packages
configurations, install scripts, etc?

My plan is to run the emdebian-tools on a PowerPC system (a fast
powerpc board with NFS-mounted Debian rootfs) to produce a PowerPC
target distribution packages. In this way I hope I'll be able to
simplify the build of the target components.

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Regards and thanks in advance,
Sergei