Re: multistrap on ubuntu

Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> writes:

>> There is indeed, at least for native builds.  Looking at live-build,
>> transmute (my own infrastructure) and debootstrap, I find:
>>
>>   - The following mountpoints are temporarily mounted:
>>
>>     dev dev/pts dev/shm proc proc/bus/usb selinux sys tmp var/lock
>>     var/run var/tmp
>
> setupscript.
>
>>   - The following files are temporarily replaced with stub versions:
>
> setupscript.

If you mean "it's up to the user to provide a setupscript that prevents
services from starting during the postinst step", that's fine with me.

My one concern is that BY DEFAULT, multistrap will run postinsts of
native builds without such a safety net.  I think the manpage should at
least warn the user that Bad Things can happen if they don't provide a
setupscript for native builds.   Perhaps multistrap should also refrain
from running pre/post scripts by default even for native builds.

> These aren't stub versions, these are *directly copied from the host
> system*. That is completely wrong for multistrap.

Some are copied (e.g. resolv.conf), some are stubs (e.g. policy-rc.d).
Of course, they'd all be removed again after the dpkg --configure -a; a
subsequent boot of the image would not have them.