Re: Question about Multistrap

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 14:23:46 -0700
Vivek Raghunathan <nkrvivek@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> I'm a developer working in an open source project which requires to
> create cross rootfs'es based on debian (specifically ubuntu distro)

We're testing multistrap with Ubuntu at the moment but most work has
been with Debian.

> We have our own local package repository that we need to use for
> creating filesystems along with the ports.ubuntu.com mirror.

Multistrap was developed to give support for local repositories.

> Multistrap is pretty awesome in that manner, where you can have
> multiple repositories defined, but one problem I'm facing is the
> requirement of Source packages along with the deb's to create the
> filesystem.

You always need source packages, otherwise the maintenance of the
repository becomes all but impossible. (Unreferenced packages.)

A repository without sources is not a functional repository.

However, if you tell multistrap to omit the deb-src, it will. Add:

omitdebsrc=true

to the relevant Sections in your multistrap config file. (i.e. not
General.)

Test your config using the --dry-run option to multistrap.

See 'Omitting deb-src listings' in the manpage for more information.

> Our local repository doesn't have source packages for the deb's.

Upload them. You have them somewhere, it will make things easier in
the end.

Please only send replies to the debian-embedded mailing list or report
a bug against multistrap - NOT in launchpad, in the Debian BTS.