Re: Does a free software alternative to SAM-BA exist?

+++ W. Martin Borgert [2010-08-05 14:21 +0200]:
> Quoting "W. Martin Borgert" <debacle@debian.org>:
>> I need to use an in-system programmer for certain ARM-based
>> microcontrollers.
>
> Maybe I should add that the main target is AT91SAM9G20.

OpenOCD has support for this device. I don't know how good it is in
any detail, but bit in general the AT91SAM series ahas been
well-supported.
Current code has:
an interfce spec:
/usr/share/openocd/scripts/interface/at91rm9200.cfg
which appears to allow direct GPIO access without a conventional JTAG
dongle. And it's used as an example in the manual which is a good sign:
http://openocd.berlios.de/doc/html/CPU-Configuration.html#CPU-Configuration

Chip/CPU support is not the same as board support for the board it is
on, including such details of how any NOR/NAND chips are
memory-mapped, whether NOR is CFI compatible, reset timings, what
other decices are in the JTAG chain, and how the JTAG/GPIO ports
are wired up.  If it is your own board you wil need to make a config
file specifying that stuff. If ou have CPLD/FPGAs on your board you
will find that support is limited, but a few chips are specified and
it's fairly easy to add more.

OpenOCD is very cool  and can be driven entirely from the command
line, or down a telnet/nc connection to a port. There is another port
for the GDB connection.

One thing it is missing is simple brain-dead boundary-scan and a fancy
GUI like XJTAG, but these things will no doubt come.

http://wookware.org/