Re: dpkg divert in preinst scripts

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:08:48 +1000
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> On 13/04/10 11:35 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> >> I am not familiar with Baked, but it sounds like it is worth
> >> having :)
> > Baked has existed as an idea for, oh about an hour now. (!) See my
> > other email and the thread that followed.
> >
> Oh, so it's mature then ;-)
> If it is so new, does that make it 'half-baked' ?? ... lol

You'd be surprised - the code behind "Baking" the packages is actually
stable - it's a minor tweak to the existing emgrip behaviour. I added
about six lines to the emgrip script and that was it, done. (Had to add
about 20 lines to document the change too, then I turned this thread
into a prototype page for the Emdebian website.)

What needs more work is the (already outlined) changes due in
multistrap and then that's all I need to do. The rest is up to you!
:-)

> > Where is the previous version kept? On device? As long as there's
> > enough room you can do that with Baked - it would be a question of
> > how you put the Baked rootfs onto the device.
> >
> Yes, the previous version would be on the device.  It needs to be in
> case the update fails and an automatic fallback is required.  Think of
> remotely updating a router that is located in the middle of nowhere
> (where maintenance personal visit infrequently).

Best to setup a native chroot and test a few parts of it first.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/