Re: dpkg divert in preinst scripts

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:54:49 +1000
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> > It all depends on how many packages are involved and whether you need
> > to allow for future upgrades. If yes, use Grip and try to work around
> > the issues of a first-boot configuration step. If no, set the
> > configuration manually and consider something like Baked. (Basically,
> > that means telling me you'd like Baked to be available. I can get it
> > into the next release of emdebian-grip.)
> >
> I am not familiar with Baked, but it sounds like it is worth having :)

Baked has existed as an idea for, oh about an hour now. (!) See my
other email and the thread that followed.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-embedded/2010/04/msg00048.html

> > I'm expecting that networking devices like that will (generally) fit
> > the criteria for Baked - i.e. that once produced, the device itself
> > will not need or expect to install new updates via dpkg or apt and will
> > therefore not want maintainer scripts installed.
> >
> Yes.  Updates are handled by installing an entire new filesystem image,
> and the device boots to the new filesystem.  Most products that are
> mission critical will have the ability to revert back to the previous
> version if booting of the new filesystem fails, or the user decides the
> new version is unsuitable (e.g. incompatibilities or interoperability
> issues, etc).

Where is the previous version kept? On device? As long as there's
enough room you can do that with Baked - it would be a question of how
you put the Baked rootfs onto the device.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/