Re: Emdebian in commercial products

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:53:20 +0200
"W. Martin Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> wrote:

> Quoting "Neil Williams" <codehelp@debian.org>:
> > Which standard Debian packages are at fault for hogging RAM in your
> > situation? Are there simple compile-time options that can be provided
> > to such packages (or unobtrusive patches) that can dramatically reduce
> > the memory footprint and which we can introduce as a new foo-crush
> > package?
>
> E.g. we would like to use dropbear instead of openssh-client, but
> need scp. #495795 must be closed for this.

Or the package rebuilt as dropbear-crush so that it can be added to the
build configuration.

If there's a patch that you know works, send it to me and I'll prepare
a dropbear-crush package.

(You don't have to use the Crush post-processing wrapper, the benefit
of the experiments in Crush is that normal Debian builds can use the
crush packages without changes, Emdebian builds tack on the
Grip/Crush/Baked post processing.)

Naturally, maintaining such forks is easier once Debian goes into
release freeze or if the package doesn't update often.
;-)

> > Presumably you're looking for lower power consumption, not just lower
> > RAM usage, so packages that do fewer complex calculations or are just
> > less complex and so take up fewer clock cycles etc. Are there
> > situations where you'd like to use one package but Debian gets in the
> > way and puts a more bloated alternative in instead?
>
> Currently, we're fine. We have 64 MB of RAM and still have room
> (around 16 MB), but we also have a lot to implement. I expect
> problems in the future. On our flash there is even enough space
> to keep manpages and locales.
>
> I'm not yet sure how/where to save memory. We will try to reduce
> the kernel size, but nearly everything is already in modules. We
> use also dbus, network-manager, modem-manager, and upstart. And
> Python :~) I hope, there are ways to use Python RAM-friendly.

If there are any other packages that need conversion, let us know.

There's an interesting GSoC project to provide easy-access repositories
of a kind similar to those already available in Ubuntu. It's possible
that variants of Emdebian could be arranged using such support.
Multistrap would then be configurable to use whichever set of
repositories provides the relevant set of packages - Debian and
Emdebian.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/