Re: Emdebian in commercial products

Quoting "Neil Williams" <codehelp@debian.org>:
Which standard Debian packages are at fault for hogging RAM in your
situation? Are there simple compile-time options that can be provided
to such packages (or unobtrusive patches) that can dramatically reduce
the memory footprint and which we can introduce as a new foo-crush
package?

E.g. we would like to use dropbear instead of openssh-client, but
need scp. #495795 must be closed for this.

Presumably you're looking for lower power consumption, not just lower
RAM usage, so packages that do fewer complex calculations or are just
less complex and so take up fewer clock cycles etc. Are there
situations where you'd like to use one package but Debian gets in the
way and puts a more bloated alternative in instead?

Currently, we're fine. We have 64 MB of RAM and still have room
(around 16 MB), but we also have a lot to implement. I expect
problems in the future. On our flash there is even enough space
to keep manpages and locales.

I'm not yet sure how/where to save memory. We will try to reduce
the kernel size, but nearly everything is already in modules. We
use also dbus, network-manager, modem-manager, and upstart. And
Python :~) I hope, there are ways to use Python RAM-friendly.