Re: Basic Step using Emdebian in ARM TS-7800

Dear Neil,

I tested my openCV application in CPU AMD Duron (600 Mhz) with usb web camera to detect number of car in the street and stream the result to other computer (police station computer) via LAN.

Surely I will not put my heavy CPU in the street as traffic surveillance system. I will use TS-7800 with usb web camera attached as a smart camera. I don't need monitor because it will streaming  the result (number of detected car in the street) to other computer (with monitor).

Are there any step by step documentations to do something similar like this?

Thanks,
Riza

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 17:43 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 01:18:07 +0800
Abdul Rahman Riza <tenth.avatar@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am newbie in embedded computer. I am developing an application using
> openCV in my AMD Duron with RAM 128 kb under Debian 5.0 operating system
> and I guest it will work fine in ARM TS-7800 since both has similar
> specification.

Similar in terms of available RAM? What kind of storage will the device
have? Presumably the screen/display will differ too.

ARM TS-7800 is armel as far as Debian is concerned.

> Someone suggested me to use emdebian in TS-7800 to avoid cross-compiling

Emdebian Grip will avoid the need to cross-compile the rest of the
operating system, yes. You'll still have to compile the application or
does it solely use the python bindings? libcv4 isn't currently part of
Emdebian Grip, so what you would do is use apt-grip (part of the
emdebian-grip package) to download the binary package from Debian and
process that binary for Grip. It's then a question of getting that
binary onto the device along with any other dependencies that your
application might need. The limitation with apt-grip is that it needs
to be run on a machine of the same architecture as the device.

The most flexible way to do that is to maintain your own mini-Grip
repository which you can keep automatically updated direct from Debian
using the scripts in the emdebian-grip-server package. The process is
mostly automated but you will need to know about reprepro and mirror
management to get it working smoothly. This method is architecture
neutral.

Once you have a local repository, you can combine that repository with
the standard Emdebian Grip repositories to create a root filesystem
which gets installed onto the device. Use multistrap for that purpose.

> therefore I would like to know the basic procedure to move my opencv
> application into ARM-7800 (that I will use as smart camera) using
> emdebian.

The details depend on just what kind of methods you have available for
installing stuff onto the device, how much storage it has, what sort of
other devices are attached (like keyboards or monitors to allow you to
work on the device or whether you have to work on a desktop and copy to
the device) etc.

You will also need your own kernel, unless you can use one of the few
standard Debian armel kernels.

... putting this on the wiki ...

http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianGripGuide