Re: Cross-objdump, -objcopy, -strip support in Debian tools

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 07:49:05PM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:

> Introducing CC_FOR_BUILD or BUILDCC for the build_host compiler might
> also be good at some point for packages which need to native compile
> code to be able to cross compile it.

$CC_FOR_BUILD would be the convention from the GNU "toplevel" project.

If, at some point, we were to decide that we want dpkg-buildpackage to
set $CC, then it should at the same time also set $CC_FOR_BUILD, so
"toplevel" based projects (i.e. binutils, gcc, gdb) don't break when we
override $CC.

Currently, we do neither, and that appears to work as well -- I expect
projects that build tools but don't use "toplevel" as their project root
or otherwise follow their convention to break if $CC starts being
exported.

This is a very small group, nevertheless it would require patches to be
submitted and incorporated or maintained.

Perhaps we ought to write a policy extension to define how packages
should react to $CC being set?

   Simon