Re: emdebian on edos.debian.net and debian weather

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:21:55 +0100
Ralf Treinen <treinen@free.fr> wrote:

> I finally came around to add emdebian to the installability analysis
> of edos.debian.net [1], and as a consequence to add it to the daily debian
> weather report [2]. It took so long since we first wanted to move the
> service to our own server here in Paris, which is now done. If you
> can't access the web pages it is because we changed the DNS entry today,
> just try again later.
>
> For the moment I am running edos-debcheck on main unstable, testing, stable,
> for all arhitectures that are in grip. If you need something differeent
> please ley me know.

Checking just 'main' is fine, thank you. For those on the list worried
about unstable, it comes down to a couple of issues:

1. Removals in Debian are manual and it's hard to keep Emdebian in sync
with packages that have been removed from Debian. I'm working on a way
of calculating package removals. Necessarily, packages that have been
removed tend also to be uninstallable or conflicting with packages that
have been added or updated.

2. New packages in Debian are also manual and adding them to Emdebian
is manual too. I use edos-debcheck to assist but bug #540797 gets in
the way of an automated fix.

3. Testing migrations - Debian has some automation, as does Emdebian,
but Debian checks the dependencies of the packages to migrate and the
Emdebian calculation already takes a long, long time to process so I
don't add in that check.

4. It is just 'main' that is checked - sometimes a package ends up in
main when it should really be in 'dev' or 'doc' alongside the rest of
it's dependencies (and reverse dependencies). The override files [0]
need manual tweaks to override the Section field which isn't used in the
same way in Debian as in Emdebian. Checking some conglomerate of main,
dev, debug, doc and java would usually satisfy the dependencies of
packages in main but would then leave missing dependencies in one of
the other components. (The idea is that main is as complete as I can
make it and the other components may well need support from apt-grip to
fill in some gaps. If there are particular packages missing, please
feedback to the list so that I can add them or file bug reports against
the buildd.emdebian.org package in the BTS.)

5. sh4 has particularly bad weather because some packages simply
haven't built on sh4 yet. apt-grip cannot help there.

6. This info needs to go on the Debian Wiki under Category
Emdebian . . .

[0] http://www.emdebian.org/grip/howto.html#overrides