udev questions

I'm using emdebian grip lenny. Currently mounting the / over nfs. I've
noticed lately (newer kernels maybe?), that on startup I get a lot of
udev "No space left on device" errors. Because nothing really broke I
ignored this for a little while, but now I'm trying to track down the
problem. Sure enough if I just do "touch /dev/hello" I get the "No
space left on device" error. If I then do df it says I'm only using
21% of /dev, but then (as was pointed out by mrvn in the irc channel)
if I do df -i I get 100% IUse. looking at the usage /dev/.udev/db is
taking nearly 100% of this space. So I have several questions:

Where does /dev/.udev/db come from? It's not on the nfs shared
filesystem as /dev/.udev/ it's only on the live system. So it must be
persistent somewhere else in the fs, why does it then live in the
tmpfs? Wouldn't it make more sense for it to live in the normal fs
rather than in ram?

I don't see any /dev or udev entry in /etc/fstab. How does the system
know where and how to create "udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)"?

thanks,
Paul