Re: Possible solution for Emdebian without perl?

On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 07:55:22 +1100
"Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:

> I take it this is perl variant of Py2App or Py2Exe -- correct ??

Looks like it.

> Py2* actually wraps the python runtime, the python app (byte compiled),
> the required python modules (byte compiled) and other required libraries
> into a single 'executable' (a .app or .exe).
>
> Presuming PP does something similar (correct/ignore me if I'm wrong -- I
> don't do perl), then each perl application/script would have it's own
> perl runtime, modules and libraries.  If you had lots of perl
> apps/scripts then you would have lots of copies of the the perl runtime,
> and many of the common modules and libraries.
>
> I that is correct, then would PP really be suitable for tightly embedded
> systems ????

Seems a pretty basic flaw, I haven't had a close look at it yet. It
seemed relatively new, so I was hoping it wouldn't be that restricted.

> I find Py2App and Py2Exe suitable when you want to distribute
> applications to end users that have varying host setups.  You can
> encapsulate all the dependent libraries and runtime progs into a single
> app image and be confident that it will run on any machine, regardless
> of what version of libraries and runtimes they may have installed on
> their host.
> The environment for an embedded system is a lot more controlled and is
> generally not an issue.
>
> I think a light weight perl installation is probably a better option --
> either that or have binary or sh replacements for the perl scripts.
>
> Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree.
> Brendan.

A lightweight perl interpreter has been the preferred option for a long
time but hasn't actually arrived.

Once I know how big the compiled code is, I'll know whether to spend
any more time on it. Just wondered if anyone else had actually tried it
yet.