Re: multistrap rootfs with initramfs

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:44:23 +1100
"Brendan Simon (eTRIX)" <brendan.simon@etrix.com.au> wrote:

> > Weird problems with NFS?

> My multistrap rootfs was 'raw'.  i.e. no extra files added.
> So added the /etc/fstab file (copied from vendor SKD rootfs).
> Now dpkg --configure -a does not segfault :)

Weird problems with /dev - seen that before.

Worth adding a note to the Wiki that at least /proc and /sysfs (and
probably /dev/pts) need to be mounted before doing anything sensible
with dpkg.

Feel free to add some notes to:

http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap

> I guess it's a dpkg issue rather than a multistrap issue, but one would
> have hoped for a more informative error message rather than a segfault.

True. :-)

> Not sure if it's the non existence of /etc/fstab or the fact that one of
> the important filesystems were missing/not-mounted ... e.g. /proc or
> /sysfs ... probably the latter.

I'd say /proc and /sysfs together. /etc/fstab is probably just one way
of getting those done.

> Would it be good idea for multistrap to provide some basic default
> config files.  eg. /etc/fstab, /etc/mtab, ... ??

But what are sensible defaults? Debian-installer can make those choices
because it can fall back to user interaction during the real install -
multistrap needs the admin (you) to decide what is likely to be a
reasonable default for your own system and then handle that via the
setup scripts.

Having an /etc/fstab that only mounts /sysfs and /proc could be
misleading, but I'll update the multistrap manpage:

===========================

Configuration

multistrap unpacks the downloaded packages but other stages of
system configuration are not attempted. Examples include:

 /etc/inittab
 /etc/fstab
 /etc/hosts
 /etc/securetty
 /etc/modules
 /etc/hostname
 /etc/network/interfaces
 /etc/init.d
 /etc/dhcp3

Any device-specific device nodes will also need to be created
using MAKEDEV.

Once multistrap has successfully created the basic file and
directory layout, other device-specific scripts are needed before
the filesystem can be packaged up and installed onto the
target device.

Once installed, the packages themselves need to be configured
using the package maintainer scripts and C<dpkg --configure -a>.

For dpkg to work, /proc and /sysfs must be mounted (or
mountable), /dev/pts is also recommended.

See also: http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap

====================

> I have no name!@localhost:/# ls

hostname is another item for the setup list.

> Setting up makedev (2.3.1-88em1) ...
> /sbin/MAKEDEV: warning: can't read /proc/devices

/proc/ still not mounted?

> Setting up debian-archive-keyring (2009.01.31em1) ...

The gpg output here is not an error, it's success.

> Setting up bash (3.2-4em1) ...
> update-alternatives: unable to make
> /usr/share/man/man7/builtins.7.gz.dpkg-tmp y

Informational message only, it doesn't indicate an error. As long as
dpkg -l shows 'ii' at the end, output in the middle can be ignored.

> Setting up sysvinit (2.86.ds1-61em1) ...
> sysvinit: creating /dev/initctl
> init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl

That keeps cropping up, generally in situations where the rest of the
config isn't complete.