Re: Experience building toolchain for armel on i686

On Wed, 06 May 2009 13:13:50 +1000
Jonathan Schultz <jonathan@imatix.com> wrote:

>   I'm still a little confused about why you
> > had to use emchain at all. It sounds like there was a problem with
> > apt-cross (which was probably trying to find gcc-4.4) which led to the
> > comment about emchain in the emsetup output. Please file a wishlist bug
> > against emsetup for that one - I'm going to have to reconsider
> > recommending emchain if emsetup fails or maybe just leave the
> > recommendation in the manpage where there is more room for a
> > discussion about why you would use emchain at all.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here. Which comment about emchain in the
> emsetup output? I don't think (scratches head trying to remember) I even
> used emsetup.  I just found this:
> http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/man/re02.html and took it from there.

That's just the emchain manpage. OK, I'll put a line near the top of
that stating that emchain is only for those times when the pre-built
toolchains are not available etc.

> > That's because with slower machines, it can take a day for emchain to
> > complete. (Yes, it really did - I wrote emchain on a machine that took
> > a day to complete a run of emchain.)
>
> Sure.  Maybe worth a request to extend rather than overwrite an existing
> log?

No, the log gets very long anyway so probably best to create a new log
alongside the existing one with a note in the output. If the file
exists, the log filename will be extended to include the time.

> > So does Qtopia now build with the toolchain you built?
>
> It seems to.  In any case the result is no worse than the one built
> natively on the Freerunner itself.
>
> > IIRC Qtopia doesn't cross-build - at least, not in a sane way. (This
> > isn't unusual, you should expect most free software to *not* be
> > cross-buildable in the first instance. There are probably only 20 or so
> > packages in all of Debian that actually cross-build without
> > modification.)
>
> Oh?  The README files with Qtopia make reference to cross-building so I
> guess the required work has been done.  I didn't realise packages had to
> be designed specifically for cross-building.

Most Debian packages need changes to support cross-building, even if
the upstream code could cross-build. So if the upstream code is known
to be used in situations where it would be expected to be cross-built,
it's a fairly safe bet that the Debian package would only cross-build
with changes, although the changes would likely be limited to the
debian/ directory. Once you get outside the list of "commonly
cross-built upstream" packages, all bets are off. A particularly common
error is that the package pretends to cross-build but then uses the
native compiler instead of the cross-compiler. There is now a lintian
test to check that the compiled objects in a .deb package are of the
same architecture as the claimed architecture of the package itself
but dpkg itself doesn't care and won't tell you if the code inside the
.deb is the wrong architecture.