Re: Experience building toolchain for armel on i686

OK, but the gcc-4.3 toolchain for i386 has been available for ARM and
armel for, literally, years.

OK. Obviously I was stumbling around in the dark and hit upon the bright idea of building the toolchain as a possible solution.

I'm going to install Debian on a virgin machine in the next week or so, which might be the chance to try all this out again without the pollution from all the trial and error of the past still lying around.

 I'm still a little confused about why you
had to use emchain at all. It sounds like there was a problem with
apt-cross (which was probably trying to find gcc-4.4) which led to the
comment about emchain in the emsetup output. Please file a wishlist bug
against emsetup for that one - I'm going to have to reconsider
recommending emchain if emsetup fails or maybe just leave the
recommendation in the manpage where there is more room for a
discussion about why you would use emchain at all.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Which comment about emchain in the emsetup output? I don't think (scratches head trying to remember) I even used emsetup. I just found this: http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/man/re02.html and took it from there.

That's because with slower machines, it can take a day for emchain to
complete. (Yes, it really did - I wrote emchain on a machine that took
a day to complete a run of emchain.)

Sure. Maybe worth a request to extend rather than overwrite an existing log?

So does Qtopia now build with the toolchain you built?

It seems to. In any case the result is no worse than the one built natively on the Freerunner itself.

IIRC Qtopia doesn't cross-build - at least, not in a sane way. (This
isn't unusual, you should expect most free software to *not* be
cross-buildable in the first instance. There are probably only 20 or so
packages in all of Debian that actually cross-build without
modification.)

Oh? The README files with Qtopia make reference to cross-building so I guess the required work has been done. I didn't realise packages had to be designed specifically for cross-building.

Cheers,
Jonathan