Embedded glibc in Debian

http://blog.aurel32.net/?p=47

[Aurelien has] just uploaded Embedded GLIBC (EGLIBC) into the archive
(it is currently waiting in the NEW queue), which will soon replace the
GNU C Library (GLIBC).

The EGLIBC is a variant of the GLIBC which stays source and binary
compatible with the original GLIBC. While primarily targeted for
embedded architectures, it has some really nice points:

    * More friendly upstream (especially with regard to embedded
architectures): “Encourage cooperation, communication, civility, and
respect among developers” (as opposed to this).

    * Stable branch with fixes for important bugs (a real one, not like
the GLIBC one which is left unchanged).

    * Better support for embedded architectures.

    * Support for different shells (GLIBC only supports bash).

    * Support for building with -Os.

    * Configurable components (do we really need NIS or RPC support in
debian-installer?).

    * Better testsuite for optimized or biarch packages.

We do not use some of these features yet, but this upload is a first
step. From the user point of view, the package names are unchanged
(except the source package and the binary package containing the
sources) so no transition is needed.

Superb! This is going to make Crush a lot more friendly.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/