Re: second stage?

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 11:14:07 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> I run  "debootstrap --arch=armel --foreign sid grip_sid2/
> http://www.emdebian.org/grip"; and this seems to work correctly. But at
> this point it's not yet a working system.

This is expected. Debootstrap is not debian-installer. debootstrap is
usually used to give you a chroot and not a lot else - most of the
extra support is done by udebs in the debian-installer.

Various tools are being tested to provide this support but it is likely
to require the machine:variant support of emsandbox (from
emdebian-rootfs).

> It is a pretty crippled install at this point. apt-get will run, but
> the networking seems to be broken. Even though proc is listed in the
> fstab it's not auto mounted.

You're probably missing a /etc/inittab or it needs modification.

> On this site (http://www.emdebian.org/grip/) there are no instructions
> past debootstrap, but on the install page
> (http://buildd.emdebian.org/release/grip/a1631.html#AEN1643) it talks
> about chroot, however I don't have a fs I can chroot from (the Debian
> sid I have is for arm, and seg faults when I try). Do I need to chroot
> to finish the process?

Yes, but that chroot operation can be wrapped.

> Also I noticed that there is a --second-stage
> option to debootstrap, but when I try that I get "cat:
> /usr/share/debootstrap/suite: No such file or directory". What does
> second-stage mean exactly?

Depends on the suite script in use but for a typical Debian
debootstrap, --second-stage completes the installation of the actual
packages (lots or only faked installs in first stage) and runs the
maintainer scripts, which means that --second-stage must happen on the
target architecture, so it is delayed when --foreign is used.

> I would like to be able to build up the
> whole fs without needing an existing working fs.

emsandbox is slowly gaining this support but it isn't finished yet.

> I know this is a lot of info, but I would appreciate any help anyone
> can offer. When I get this all worked out I plan to publish a
> mini-tutorial on the opencircuits site.

Because it hasn't been written yet, things are still developing.

Grip can be installed (with a little effort) with debian-installer but
1.0 is a developer release and things need testing and various fixes.
The fixes are generally in the tools that prepare the install and
optimise the extra support needed for booting.

Tools that you generally use to convert a plain debootstrap into a
bootable system will still work with Grip.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/