second stage?

Hello,

I've been using debian sid for arm for awhile now on my Linuxstamp
(http://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp), and it's been working well. Now
I'd like to move to Grip and armel to get a smaller footprint, to get
the EABI support, and to have a process I can repeat from scratch.

I run  "debootstrap --arch=armel --foreign sid grip_sid2/
http://www.emdebian.org/grip"; and this seems to work correctly. But at
this point it's not yet a working system. Even to make the system
bootable at all I have to add "/dev/console" and "/dev/ttyS0". Also
instead of starting getty I start /bin/bash. The errors on the tail of
the boot are listed below.

INIT: version 2.86 booting
/etc/init.d/rc: line 74: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or directory
error: '/etc/init.d/rc' exited outside the expected code flow.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
/etc/init.d/rc: line 74: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or directory
error: '/etc/init.d/rc' exited outside the expected code flow.

It is a pretty crippled install at this point. apt-get will run, but
the networking seems to be broken. Even though proc is listed in the
fstab it's not auto mounted.

On this site (http://www.emdebian.org/grip/) there are no instructions
past debootstrap, but on the install page
(http://buildd.emdebian.org/release/grip/a1631.html#AEN1643) it talks
about chroot, however I don't have a fs I can chroot from (the Debian
sid I have is for arm, and seg faults when I try). Do I need to chroot
to finish the process? Also I noticed that there is a --second-stage
option to debootstrap, but when I try that I get "cat:
/usr/share/debootstrap/suite: No such file or directory". What does
second-stage mean exactly? I would like to be able to build up the
whole fs without needing an existing working fs.

I know this is a lot of info, but I would appreciate any help anyone
can offer. When I get this all worked out I plan to publish a
mini-tutorial on the opencircuits site.

thanks,
Paul