Re: migrating from uClinux to emdebian crush on a Xscale PXA270 board

Hello Marco,

2009/2/2 Hoefle Marco <Marco.Hoefle@nanotronic.ch>:
> Hello,
> our customer is using uClinux from a linux distributer charging indirectly
> licensing fees for things they took from uClinux.org and other community
> developed stuff. Furthermore, their drivers are buggy and not well tested.
> Thus I thought emdebian might be a good alternative with well tested drivers
> and packages. Thus I want to make a emdebian crush demo
> on their board they are currently using (based on a Xscale 270PXA, 16 MByte
> Flash and 64 MByte RAM). The problem is that I am not familiar with debian
> packages (we use Redhat).

Emdebian crush does not fit in a 16MByte flash *yet*. May I know which
board are you talking about?

> What I did for the demo so far:
> - I installed debian lenny and the emdebian tools using the repositories
>  http://build.emdebian.org/emdebian/ unstable main
>  http://www.emdebian.org/debian/ unstable main

Currently we still under development, so it is better to create and
work inside unstable chroot.

> - I installed the arm cross compiling tools with:
> # apt-get install libc6-armel-cross libc6-dev-armel-cross
> binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi gcc-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi
> g++-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi
>
> -tried to use emsetup:
> debian:~# emsetup
> Could not determine the default architecture, please use emsetup --arch
> debian:~# emsetup --arch
> Could not determine the default architecture, please use emsetup --arch
> debian:~# emsetup --arch arm
>
> Error: dpkg-cross does not currently support "arm"
> debian:~# man emsetup

Try to set up the architecture running:
# dpkg-reconfigure dpkg-cross

> I don't know what architectures are supported and how to add the arm
> architecture.

Emdebian wants to support all official debian architectures, but
currently arm is the one more usable.

> And a few other things are not clear to me: I saw that uboot
> is referenced on the emdebian website. After the emdebian crush flow is
> there a kernel and a file system image which can be loaded with uboot? The
> current bootloader is uboot and it would be really handy if emdebian crush
> can be booted with uboot.

Emdebian just provides a rootfs, nor a bootloader, nor a kernel, nor
drivers, ...
For such things i would recommend you to take a look to openwrt
project as they look like to fullfill your requirements.

> Is there a step by step document available on how to install emdebian crush
> on a emedded system with little storage resources?

Just the documents on the site and search for Emdebian category under
debian wiki pages.

> Any help is greatly appreciated as I am stuck right now.

>From my point of view, emdebian needs a little work to do all you want to do.

Regards,
--
 Héctor Orón