Re: Root file system

Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Hardouin SIMONNOT wrote:
>> Thank you Neil.
>>
>> I found the command on this page :
>> http://www.emdebian.org/docs/howto-3.html
>>
>> I will try to follow your suggestions about emsandbox. But I am a little
>> bit disappointed because there are no documents available that clearly
>> explains the steps to create a sample board system. We must look around
>> and try to understand what to do from the description of different
>> emdebian tools. I realy feel lost.
>>
>> If I finish to create a system after a miracle and many days of work, I
>> would make a step by step Howto for future emdebian users because of
>> this lack of documentation easily accessible is really daunting for
>> newcomers.
>
> In Neil's defense, the problem he's trying to solve is challenging, to
> say the least.  The tools he is developing are still pretty volatile,
> as are the procedures for using them.  This stuff isn't currently
> suitable for the faint-at-heart.
>
> At this point, if you want to use emdebian then your best investment
> is in learning the foundations behind what the system is doing.  With
> that, the role of each tool becomes easier to understand.
>
> In time, emdebian CAN become as easy to use as an ordinary Debian
> system.  Well, almost--- embedded systems by their nature can be more
> challenging to deal with during the development effort.  I think we're
> really close to turning that corner, but not quite yet.
>
> There's no arguing the point that everyone would love a cookbook HOWTO
> for emdebian, and I'd love for you, Hardouin, to jot down and post
> your notes as you go along--- that would be a HUGE contribution to the
> effort! I have meant to do that myself many times, but just haven't
> had the spare cycles for it.
>
> But don't worry about making your publication too polished, for it
> will need frequent updating.  At this point in emdebian's life cycle,
> that's a good thing!
>

> b.g.

I would like to add the following info to this, we know the
documentation is far from perfect and not complete yet. But it is under
development :-p

There is also work in progress to create an open hardware demo board [1]
that uses emdebian, it will demonstrate the emdebian project and will
improve the documentation. So it can be seen as a sort of starter-kit
for emdebian and other open development tools.

I really hope the hardware can be demonstrated ad Fosdem 2009 but I am
afraid February will be a bid to e ambiguous to get both hard and
software up and running. But I will do my best.

[1] http://www.powercraft.nl/websvn/openarm/

Best regards,

Jelle