Re: emdebian mipsel support

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:39:50 +0100
Mahmood Javed <mahmood@wonderbox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to emdebian project and trying to crosscompile debian packages
> to a mipsel board. I have installed the cross-toolchain and tried to
> croos-compile the glibc but it is failing with following message:
>
> "/bin/sh: line 8:
> /emdebian/trunk/g/glibc/trunk/glibc-2.7/build-tree/mipsel-libc/elf/ld.so:
> cannot execute binary file"

What commands are you using to cross-compile glibc?

You need more than a toolchain to cross-compile packages.

> So I assume it is trying to run a mipsel binary my amd-64.  Could anyone
> guide about the issue please.  Could somebody also guide about the
> general build cycle for mipsel please especially what to edit or where
> to add the cache files.

The cache files are under review - it's likely that the next upload of
dpkg-cross for Emdebian will remove the need for specific cache files.
A little more testing is required. glibc does not need a cache file.
glibc does need cross-build-dependencies and a few other changes which
are yet to be included in the Debian package (due to the Lenny freeze).
i.e. you need to be using emsource from emdebian-tools to get the
Debian glibc source *and* apply the current Emdebian patch set.

Once Lenny is released, these patches will be gradually folded into the
Debian package.