Re: Where does debconf-shell come from

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 13:31 +0000, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 March 2008, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Having built a repository with all the debs I need (or at least all the
> > debs that work_out_debs seems to think I need) I tried running
> > emsandbox pointing it at my local repository.
> >
> > But it decided that I needed debconf-shell, and I can not find any
> > reference to this either in the main Debian repository, or in the one
> > I built, or in any file in the ones I built.
> >
> > Anyone know where it is supposed to come from?
> >
> > David
>
> OK, I found it, its part of debconf.

Actually, debconf-shell is debconf without perl.

>  Why is debconf not either called in
> as a pre-req or listed in base-files?

Because cdebconf is used instead. The need for debconf-shell arises from
a bug in cdebconf and once that bug is fixed, debconf-shell will
disappear.

debconf is not listed in base-files because the intention is that the
soon-to-be-released em_autobuild will (later) use the Emdebian
repository as the main source of dependency information, allowing it to
locate debconf-shell as a binary built from the debconf source. Of
course, if the bug in cdebconf is fixed first, that all becomes moot.