Re: How to use local patches

On Thursday 20 March 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:44:01 +0000
>
> David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> > The current system (as far as I can tell) assumes that all patches come
> > from the emdebian svn repository.  If I want to have some of my own (say
> > while I am developing them before submitting them to you) where do I put
> > them and how do I tell emsource -b to look for them first and only use
> > the SVN ones if not overridden?  Or do I have to check out all the ones
> > in the central SVN and point emsource at a local svn replica with my
> > extra fixes in it?
>
> man emsource
>
> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/emdebian/man/re06.html
>
> -m|--machine NAME
>
>     Machine:variant customisation support. See Machine:Variant for full
> details. $NAME refers to the designated name of a particular machine or
> family of machines where extra patches need to be applied over the
> existing Emdebian patches.
>
> -V|--variant NAME
>
>     Machine:variant customisation support. See Machine:Variant for full
> details. $NAME refers to the designated name of a particular variant of
> a family of machines where extra patches need to be applied over the
> existing Emdebian patches.
>
> --machine-path PATH
>
>     Machine:variant customisation support. See Machine:Variant for full
> details. $PATH specifies a replacement root path for the patch
> directory, replacing the default '$WORK/machine/' configured via
> debconf.

Great.  I had missed that I could put patches in there, I had thought only
the three config files went there.  Actually reading the emsource help text
is I think the clearest explanation slightly clearer than the man which may
be why I missed it as I only looked at the man.

I take it that the evn patches are applied first, then mine?

David