How to use local patches

The current system (as far as I can tell) assumes that all patches come from
the emdebian svn repository.  If I want to have some of my own (say while I
am developing them before submitting them to you) where do I put them and
how do I tell emsource -b to look for them first and only use the SVN ones
if not overridden?  Or do I have to check out all the ones in the central
SVN and point emsource at a local svn replica with my extra fixes in it?

David