Re: Emdebian worksession proposal

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:01:14 +1100
Brendan Simon <Brendan@BrendanSimon.com> wrote:

> One thing I'd like is less dependencies on some core packages.  eg.
> networking devices don't need any graphics libraries.  Last time I
> looked there was some kind of dependency on a graphics/video packages/s
> as the primary target device was a iPAQ (some something similar).

1. My target device is an iPAQ
2. My development device is a Balloon3
3. Three sets of root filesystems are in development:
	a) Small but still using dpkg and apt, no graphics.
	b) As a) with enough other dependencies to support Gtk+2
	c) As b) with enough other packages to run the G Palmtop
Environment.

> Maybe things have changed ???

There never was any intention to require graphics packages for all
devices, just those that need a GUI from the start.

The current setup doesn't boot yet (it can be used for a chroot).

Testing of the smallest set involves these packages:

        required="busybox dpkg libstdc++6 libgcc1 libc6 cdebconf
        libdebian-installer4 zlib1g libnewt0.52 libslang2"

        base="apt gpgv libncurses5 libreadline5 readline-common mktemp
        debconf-shell debianutils makedev base-passwd whiptail
        gnupg udev base-files debian-archive-keyring udhcpc udhcpd
        sysv-rc util-linux module-init-tools sysvinit-utils"

> >    # Embedded Debian in general

Part of this topic will be the package selections.

> >    # Improve build infrastructure (toolchain and target packages)
> >    # Prepare uClibc port (other C libraries would be also nice to have
> > ) instead GLIBC (toolchain and target packages)
> >    # Improve support for balloon and NAS devices

Part of this topic will be getting a variety of filesystem images that
support a variety of deployments. Wherever possible, a bespoke image
can be generated for a specific device so that those devices that need
a GUI can have it "preinstalled" whereas those that do not can have the
smallest base system that we can generate.