Re: emDebian with Etch

On 2008-07-15 08:18 -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Wookey wrote:
> > On 2008-07-15 10:08 +0200, Daniel Endres wrote:
> >> Hello mailinglist,
> >>
> >> i've tried to instal the emdebian-tools package. The problem is, that
> >> I'm using etch and the emdebian-package is only availble for testing and
> >> unstable.
> >>
> >> Of coures I could install testing/unstable. But I don't want to install
> >> one of these for production purposes.
> >>
> >> Isn't there any possibility to get the emdebian-tools running under etch ?
> >
> > It is probably possible, but not trivial, by backporting newer
> > versions of apt, dpkg and assocaited stuff. I have got current
> > versions of dpkg, apt, dpkg-corss, apt-cross, libapt-pkg-perl
> > backported (which is enough to use apt-cross under etch). I only got
> > this working on amd64 so far: the apt backport failed to build on i386.
>
> But.... why?  :)  'Cause you love pain?  :) :)  Especially if you're after the
> cross toolchains themselves.  Just seems like waaaaay more trouble than it's worth.

In my case it's because our whole device arm environment is ancient:
familiar 0.8.2, which appears to be pretty-much compatible with etch.
Certainly you can build stuff in etch chroots and it all runs fine on
familiar 0.8.2. The box in question doesn't have space for debian
etch, but the new one will and we can do a seamless transition from
underlying familiar to underlying debian (I have alot of scriptage
maintaining neat parallel .deb and .ipk repositories with reprepro).
Then we can update easily to something newer than 2004 :-) andmy life
will get a lot simpler.

We needed to cross-build (because 3 mins is an awful lot better than
an hour when you are rebuilding the app all day) but it had to be
built in etch so I wanted the tools in etch, and backporting apt-cross
+friends and cmake2.6 was actually fairly painless (just change deps
and rebuild on amd64).

> Sid is a headache at times for me, but overall the benefits have more than
> offset the limitations.  And with Lenny just around the corner, the stability
> the OP wants from Etch will be here shortly in a configuration that's
> out-of-the-box emdeian-compatible.

Agreed. You don't want to start with etch now and building emdebian
for etch is just asking for trouble (You'll note I didn't try that :-)

But running the tools is tractable. Just probbaly not very useful
beyond simple apt-cross support.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/