Re: emDebian with Etch

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 12:11 +0100, Wookey wrote:
> On 2008-07-15 10:08 +0200, Daniel Endres wrote:
> > Hello mailinglist,
> >
> > i've tried to instal the emdebian-tools package. The problem is, that
> > I'm using etch and the emdebian-package is only availble for testing and
> > unstable.
> >
> > Of coures I could install testing/unstable. But I don't want to install
> > one of these for production purposes.
> >
> > Isn't there any possibility to get the emdebian-tools running under etch ?
>
> It is probably possible, but not trivial, by backporting newer
> versions of apt, dpkg and assocaited stuff. I have got current
> versions of dpkg, apt, dpkg-corss, apt-cross, libapt-pkg-perl
> backported (which is enough to use apt-cross under etch). I only got
> this working on amd64 so far: the apt backport failed to build on i386.

For emdebian-rootfs, debootstrap (>= 1.0.4) is also needed.

> For all the emdebian tools there are probably some more tools that
> need backporting, but I don't expect there are any showstoppers, so it
> can be done and would be very useful work. If we got it done to a
> reasonable standard we could upload those packages to a backports
> repository (mine are currently only internally acessible).

What is the status of toolchains for Etch?

Another problem is going to be build-dependencies - the wrong versions
will be brought in by apt-get build-dep. Packages being built in
Emdebian are the versions in Sid so the library transitions that have
taken place will be incompatible with the underlying Etch build
dependencies.

With all the backporting, it might be possible to install the scripts
but I doubt that any of the building scripts will be usable. This will
all be possible in Lenny but Etch support is not really the best idea
IMHO. What might be possible is to run empdebuild create to create the
cross-building chroot (Sid) on an Etch box and possibly run builds
inside that. (Emdebian patches will not apply against sources from Etch,
only against unstable.)

In the long term, as more bugs are fixed in Debian and the number and
scope of Emdebian patches becomes more manageable, things will improve
but by then, Lenny will have been out for some time already.