Re: problem fetching arm binaries from emsandbox/embootstrap

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 21:30 -0700, Ali Khan wrote:
> I am trying to run emsandbox with the following args:
>
> sudo emsandbox -a arm
>
> This generates some errors when fetching the ARM binaries:
>
> I: Checking component main on http://buildd.emdebian.org/emdebian...
> I: Retrieving apt
> W: Couldn't download package apt

Fixed. Sorry for the hassle.

> Looks like one of the pointers to the binaries needs to be updated?

Yes, I've had problems with a flaky internet connection for the last few
days (as well as a lot of other work to do) and haven't had time to
check these things. (The locations broke when the server was upgraded
earlier this week.)

> I could just as readily cross compile for ARM and PPC, but have not
> figured out how to do that yet with emdebian.

ARM is ongoing via emdebian-tools and the autobuilder:
http://www.emdebian.org/buildd/

However, ARM is the only architecture for which any packages have been
built so far and any other arch (my first priority will be armel),
including PPC, will need updated cache files:

http://www.emdebian.org/emdebian/intro.html#cachefiles
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianGuide

and maybe a few other tweaks to the patches in SVN. It would be a *long*
process and you should take note of the autobuilder logs because there
are packages available via emsandbox for ARM that do not currently build
at the latest version so these would also fail for any other arch.

However, once the patches are updated, an autobuilder for armel is on my
todo list.

I must admit, I have no expectation of building for i386 or PPC targets
- I have neither the time nor the hardware. I do, however, aim to
provide sufficient support in emdebian-tools for anyone else who wants
to do those tasks. To update the patches, you will need SVN commit
access (but you will not have to know how to use subversion):

http://www.emdebian.org/docs/svn.html