Status of uClibc cross-toolchains and packages

Dear Experts,

My ARM board currently has an NFS-mounted root filesystem containing a
regular glibc-based Debian system.  When we eventually produce a
product it will have a very minimal root filesystem with uClibc and
busybox, perhaps built using the busybox buildroot.  As an intermediate
step - mainly to check if my code has any unplanned dependencies on
glibc - I'm considering trying to compile and run my code with uClibc
on the otherwise-glibc NFS-mounted Debian system.  So ideally I'd have:

- uClibc library packages for the ARM system, which can co-exist with
the glibc packages that are already there.
- a uClibc-ARM cross-compiler for my x86 development machine.  (Or some
spell that will make my existing glibc-ARM cross-compiler work for uClibc.)

I know that uClibc has been discussed here frequently, but it's hard to
know what the current status is; www.emdebian.org says that replacing
glibc with uclibc is "yet to be investigated", but that could be out of
date by now.  Can anyone confirm what the current status is, and advise
how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Phil.