Re: Packaging a library that requires cross-compiled code

[removing debian-devel from the Cc list]

On 9/28/07, Simon Richter <sjr@debian.org> wrote:
> > But, if there is precedent, it might not be too painful to mimick
> > existing cross-compiler packages to build my own. I'll see what I can
> > do.
>
> Please coordinate any such effort with debian-embedded@lists.debian.org :-)

Hi! Here I am :-).

For those not following -devel, I am trying to package a Python module
which uses as data a small binary blob cross-compiled for arm7, and
was told that I should basically either package an arm7 cross-compiler
to enable building the binary blob directly in debian, or go away. So,
here I am, naive and ignorant of the horrors of building
cross-compiler toolchain packages, and wanting directions!

Here is my plan so far, admittedly not completely thought through,
because I am very new to the debian devel world.

I need at least gcc-arm7 and binutils-arm7 packages, with newlib-arm7
being a nice-to-have addition (I don't use it, but the toolchain I
built for myself includes it). I have a shell script that I wrote,
which grabs packages from gnuarm.com, builds them properly and
installs them in a custom prefix. I first need to tweak that script to
build each component separately (right now, they are all intertwined
and built simultaneously). Then, I was planning on picking a random
existing cross-compiler package (say gcc-avr), copying its debian/ and
tweaking it until I can make it build correctly.

Simon mentionned some architecture in the works to facilitate building
cross-compilers, but I understand this is not complete yet. So does my
approach stand a whelk's chance in a supernova of getting somewhere?

Cheers,
- Dave